The popularity of island kitchens is explained not only by the tribute to fashion. Of course, the Western trend, which broke the usual stereotypes about the standard layout of the kitchen, played a significant role. Contributed to this and the fact that modern projects significantly expand the space of the kitchen or combine it with the living room and dining room. After all, to place the "island" in the room from 6 to 15 squares, which were previously assigned to kitchens, is inappropriate and problematic. But even the fashion trend takes root temporarily, if it is not practical and functional. The island arrangement has justified itself by the fact that it is comfortable, aesthetic and rational from the point of view of ergonomics (fitness) of space.
Island hood for the kitchen
One of the central places in such a kitchen was occupied by an island hood. It performs several functions:
- the main one - cleans the air from smells of food, vapors and fat;
- esthetic - serves as an interior decor item;
- additional lighting - almost all hoods are equipped with lighting of different power;
- regulatory - the most advanced models are equipped with sensors that analyze air pollution and can be switched on automatically. Practically in every modern model there are timers, control systems of various processes.
Today, any online store or shopping center offers a fairly wide range of this type of product. The only restriction is that not all models of this series can be bought immediately. Most of them choose from the catalog, and you need to wait a bit for delivery.
Many experts believe that island-type hoods belong to the elite segment of embedded appliances. This statement is currently not quite true. Today, they are produced in large quantities by almost all firms operating in this segment. Island kitchen hood can cost from 20 000-25 000 rubles, but the latest designer models with a large number of functions can reach the price of 300 000 rubles and above.
Price category depends on the following reasons:
- manufacturer's company. There are companies that focus on this category of household appliances. This is Elica, Faber, Best (Italy), Franke (Germany). The line of ceiling island hoods is presented practically at each firm of a manufacturer of household kitchen appliances;
- on the power and number of functions;
- materials of the box, that is, the visible intake panel.
Island hood differs from traditional models in that it is fixed to the ceiling and is the center-forming element in the kitchen. It is for this reason that its design is more demanding.
How to choose an island hood?
The range of models on the market allows you to choose a ceiling kitchen hood for almost any style and furniture set. The abundance of forms, materials of execution, design solutions will satisfy even the most demanding consumer.
Island hood has several important characteristics that must be considered when choosing:
- room dimensions;
- the style of the kitchen and furniture set;
It is from these categories that it is necessary to make a start when choosing an island hood.
Main types of hoods
There are two main types of this household appliance:
- exhaust hoods that take the air out of the room and provide new inflows. That is, perform the function of exhaust air. This type is connected to a specially laid duct. We do not recommend connecting to common ventilation ducts. This is especially important for apartment buildings, where many rooms are connected to one channel;
- The second type is hoods with filters. They perform the function of air recirculation, that is, they clean it and return it back. All the systems have built-in nets, grease traps, which periodically need to be washed. Filters also change;
- combined type. They can be connected to air ducts and work through filters.
From the point of view of the capacity of the air volume is better than the hood with a connection to the air ducts. Especially when the dimensions of the room are large enough, and therefore requires more power. This option is suitable for studios.
Aspiration hoods are optimal for families where food is often cooked. At smaller kitchen sizes, hood with replaceable filters is quite suitable.
The main types of island hoods on the form
The variety of forms and solutions allows only conditionally subdivide island extracts into certain categories. But among them there are:
- cylindrical (telescopic);
Dome systems are, as they say, classics of the genre. This hood consists of a casing covering the duct and a dome over the cooking surface. This form is optimal for recirculating hoods.
By stylistic decisions are classic. They are characterized by inlays of wood and the shape of a massive elongated dome. Manufacturers are trying to complete the technique with unpainted wooden inserts. An island white or ivory extract is needed, it is enough to paint these inserts in the desired color.
Round or elongated dome hoods are more versatile models. They are popular, suitable for most styles. Their dome box is smaller and made of modern materials, composites, and stainless steel. They are practical with well-located lighting and control panel.
Cylindrical and telescopic models are suitable for modern interiors in the style of techno, minimalism. This type is characterized by laconic forms. Used metal, glass, composites. Most of these hoods are connected to air ducts; they (hoods) are powerful enough. These are multifunctional models, most of them are equipped with a remote control panel.
Designer hoods are designed for demanding customers. They are made in the form of lamps or non-standard models. Can be decorated with a variety of additional elements. This category belongs to the elite range of hoods. Leading designers are involved in the development of such models.
There are non-standard range of hoods for island kitchens, which are mounted in the working panel of the table and are put forward during cooking. Produce folding suspension systems that fall and rise above the cooking surface.
Room dimensions and power
The next important feature is the draw power. It is determined based on the size of the room in which the air will be cleaned, and is measured in cubic meters per hour. It should be recalled that if we are talking about combined premises, for example, a living room and a kitchen, then the total area is taken into account.
Another point to note: some sources indicate that the size of the hood hood should be slightly larger (10 cm) in the area of the cooking surface. This is partly true and concerns more dome structures.
You should pay attention to another important parameter: the noise level. The more powerful household appliances, the greater the noise. But there are different modes of operation, manufacturers are trying to minimize the noise level. The optimal technical parameter from 40 to 65 dB.
Island hood is an important element of the island kitchen with a functional and aesthetic side. A wide range of models makes it possible to choose the option that best suits the stylistic design of the interior and the technical parameters of the room.