In landscape design there are many beautiful things, donated by the "Japanese garden". One of them is a dry stream - a “pond” that has no water. However, this does not make it less beautiful, believe me. With the help of pebbles or stones, the bed of a dried stream, overgrown with plants, is imitated. It can be a great backdrop for alpine gardens or flower beds. In addition to such a moment as the absence of mosquitoes and midges, such a decorative pond has many advantages.
The virtues of a dry stream
The streamlet is not only an amazing decoration of the garden, but can also perform many useful functions.
- Practicality. He beautifully divides the garden into zones, able to mask the irregularities of the site or objects of communication.
- Utility. It can be used as a drainage.
- Ease of execution. You can create a dry stream with your own hands, without spending a lot of effort and, last but not least, great finances.
- Fast erection process. With a quality preparation for work, the arrangement of the stream will not take more than two or three days.
- Elementary care: control over it is to maintain the shape and periodic removal of weeds.
- Space for fantasy. The design of an artificial streamlet is unlimited, while the maintenance of a natural reservoir requires only moisture-loving plants to be planted next to it.
- Absolute safety for children.
Do you want to have a dry stream in the country and do not dare? In fact, everything is very simple, if you foresee all the nuances and outline a clear plan of work.
Dry creek do it yourself
Work, of course, to be. But it's worth it! The sequence of works will help to do everything without any worries and will surely please the result.
We are determined with the form
Decide for yourself how your decorative pond will look: its shape, length, features. Be sure to make a sketch on paper. For example, a small area will suit a deep and winding course. However, on any of the sections of the stream you can set different parameters, either increasing or decreasing its width or differences, as it happens in nature.
If you want your dry stream in the country to sparkle with gray-blue "water", then slate and basalt are ideal for this purpose. Looking for shades of red, brown, green? It will take granite. And for light inclusions, limestone and pieces of marble will be good. Did not find the desired color? This is not a problem - buy waterproof paint of the desired color and implement your plans.
The dry stream, whose bottom is decorated with glass balls or pebbles, looks unusually beautiful. It is easy to find them, the choice is now very rich in the decor stores.
The choice of plants for a dry stream is not limited to moisture-loving species, you can safely plant your favorite flowering specimens or beautiful leafy plants. And yet, despite the wide possibilities, landscape design specialists advise to take as a basis those plants that cause associations with the reservoir. But tall and richly blooming avoid.
The final touch - decorative design
Create a realistic effect will help cute elements of decor: frogs, ducks, a lone mill or an elegant stork, curious looking at the sides. It is very important that the decorative works do not enthrall you too much, since an overabundance of such objects will distract attention from the main element of the garden - the reservoir.
The original idea is an "old" pitcher thrown into the source. Let water "flow out of it" from the pebbles, beautifully emphasizing the shape of the stream.
We hope that now when you know how to make a dry stream, you will not be frightened by the process, and there will be enough inspiration to create such a nice masterpiece on your site.