In private homes and cottages, owners rarely keep small and large dogs of different breeds in residential areas. Even lap dogs go to the yard. And it's not that dog bowls spoil the design of the room. Animals themselves with great pleasure live in the fresh air, where there is a sun and soft grass. But the dog needs a small house.
Consider the following factors:
- a windy place is absolutely not suitable for placing a kennel, but you can always move a portable dog house;
- if the booth is not placed in open-air cages, then it is best to choose a medium-sized dry and moderately sunny area located on a hill;
- it is better to make a booth near a shaded place where your pet can rest on hot days;
- choose a spacious place, not a gap between two sheds;
- it is best to place the booth near the entrance to the apartment building (on the south side);
- The dog box should be positioned so that the dog can see the entrance to the courtyard and the house, and can also observe the route of movement of people.
Dog box can have almost any shape - the project depends on your imagination and capabilities. However, you should think over the structure of the kennel and choose the materials in the first place with regard to comfort from the point of view of the dog itself. You should not start from your understanding of comfort and convenience: your pet hardly needs a chic design and a magnificent two-story villa with a dozen rooms, artificial lighting and vinyl siding. But a simple rectangular dog house with a comfortable manhole probably will have a pet to its liking. Although the options may be different: unusual booths are becoming more popular every year.
A booth with a vestibule is a little more time consuming project than a regular rectangular kennel, but such a house for a dog will be an excellent protection from cold and wind. If you additionally warm the vestibule and also hang a curtain of average density at the entrance, then your pet will not be afraid of the cold. As a heater, you can use mineral wool or a layer of foam.
Roofs are of two types:
- Flat, on which the dog will be able to lie on warm sunny days. Pets love to climb on such roofs, so if you want to please the beast in addition, we advise you to make a flat roof. However, the box-shaped booths are usually not very beautiful. When placing houses in enclosures, the shape of the roof does not matter.
- Gable Such a roof is much more preferable from an aesthetic point of view, and it can become an ornament to the entire courtyard. Design can be selected under the architectural ensemble. This option allows you to equip a small attic for storing dog toys.
Most often, the booths are made of wood (and from the sawdust is a bench). Usually, coniferous wood (spruce, pine) is chosen, since it perfectly repels insects with its smell, and the basic characteristics of the material (strength, thermal conductivity, etc.) are very good. The dog box from a log will be very strong and warm. It is important to carefully chop and grind the wood. Also, the boards should be treated with fire-resistant and moisture-resistant compounds (however, the kennel does not need to be treated from the inside). Booths made of brick and other materials of average cost in all respects lose to the structures of wood. You can paint the dog house outside, but there should not be any toxic materials with a strong odor inside.
For the construction of the booth may need the following materials:
- lining, plywood, floorboards, original decorative slats;
- roofing material, slate, glassine, soft tarpaulin, polyethylene;
- mineral wool or other insulation (so that the dog can comfortably survive the winter);
- frame bars (standard dimensions - 40 × 40 mm);
- impregnating compositions;
- straw, sawdust (bench);
A too spacious kennel does not keep warm well, and in a small booth the dog will not feel comfortable.
When calculating the size, the following principles should be followed:
- In height, the dog box should be equal to the sum of the growth of the beast at the withers, the thickness of the litter and the additional 10-15 centimeters. Your pet should move inside the kennel with its head bent, and lie down and sit without touching the ceiling top.
- The optimal length and width of the building will allow even a large dog to lie on the floor, stretching out its paws.
- The width of the vestibule should be sufficient for free movement of the animal. The platform can be designed as spacious as the main room, so that the dog on warm days can lie in it on its side with its legs extended.
- The size of the entrance to the kennel (manhole) may be slightly less than the height of the dog at the withers (5 cm). The width of the manhole should allow the dog to freely enter and exit the kennel. The best solution would be to add 5-8 centimeters to the width of the animal's chest.
After you have decided on the dimensions of the kennel, you should prepare (cut, cut, chop, etc.) all the necessary details. Make no mistake when you determine the size of the parts (especially small). And after that you should start assembling the booth. Just do not forget to stock up on the necessary tools.
Frame and bottom
The floor of the future kennel can be raised above the ground with the help of additional bars (or make it in 2 layers). Plywood or similar material should be laid on top of the boards so that the animal’s claws do not get stuck in the cracks. In the corners of the bottom it is necessary to vertically fix the bars, which will become the basis for the walls. Between the vertical bars set horizontal. It is better to hammer nails from the inside of the frame, and to strengthen the structure, you can use screws.
Walls and ceiling
We sheathe the outer side of the frame clapboard. If the booth will be located under a canopy or placed in open-air cages, it is better to combine the ceiling with a roof. And if the kennel for the dog will not have additional protection, the ceiling with the roof should be built separately. The ceiling is assembled from two sheets of plywood and bars. Between the sheets of plywood is laid soft insulation. It is best to make the ceiling removable in order to make it easier to clean the kennel, and if necessary it would be possible to provide veterinary assistance to the animal. If there is no separate roof, then it is best to lay roofing felt on top or to put shingles (design is up to you).
Warming and waterproofing
First you need to turn the design and properly handle the bottom of the necessary compositions. Then you can close it with roofing paper and nail a few bars, which will serve as the basis of the booth. The bottom of the kennel is best lined with glassine. Between the layers of glassine should be placed soft insulation, and already lay the floor above. It is desirable to warm the walls in the same way, after which they should be sheathed with clapboard from the inside. Then you need to make a frame for the inlet.
Roof and manhole
The first step is to attach the roof gables. For the perimeter bars are used. Asphalt is fastened on the inside, and the structure is sheathed on top with clapboard. The size of the manhole is calculated according to the above scheme. For winter, it is best to close the hole with a special canvas curtain. To prevent the curtain from opening from the wind, it is necessary to sew the pockets to its lower part and fill them with sand. The result will be a portable dog house that you can move anywhere if you wish.
The arrangement of the booth and care for her
The animal needs a bed. Straw, hay or sawdust of softwood should be poured at the bottom of the kennel. The best option - bed made of sawdust. Must be regularly carried out in the booth cleaning. In addition, once per season (3 times in summer) it is required to disinfect the room. During disinfection, as well as up to the moment of complete drying of the compositions and airing of the room, dogs of any breeds are not allowed to enter the kennel.