Increasingly, people choose liquid wallpaper for interior decoration. This finishing material is deservedly becoming popular. In fact, this is a peculiar kind of plaster, but it consists not only of sand, lime and cement, but of cellulose fibers or silk. Universal composition suitable for walls and ceilings. It is sold in the form of a dry mixture, which must be diluted with water before use.
Especially liquid wallpaper like those who shudder recalls how long during the repair had to measure the necessary pieces of roll wallpaper, and then even longer to choose patterns and fight with bubbles. It was also unpleasant to keep track of the joints, and as luck would have it, they were constantly sticking to the seams, but now, thanks to modern technology, you can forget about all this suffering. Believe me, repairs can be done quickly and efficiently.
Pluses of liquid wallpaper
Before you buy this decorative coating you will not hurt to get acquainted with its main advantages:
- Convenience cooking. To prepare a liquid wallpaper for use does not need much time and space. Regular wallpapers need to measure, cut, spread with glue, and this wall covering is enough to fill with water and wait a bit.
- Ease of use. Apply liquid wallpaper on the ceiling in the same way as plaster. The finished composition resembles a cotton mixture. It is much easier to spread it over the ceiling with a spatula than to glue rolled wallpaper.
- Some wonder: can I apply liquid wallpaper on an uneven ceiling? The answer is yes. This finishing material is strong enough to conceal minor defects in the ceiling surface. If there are no large cracks, then without a putty layer you can make a smooth ceiling.
- Seamless. Liquid wallpaper on the ceiling form a completely flat surface, whereas after gluing the usual rolled joints are visible.
- Finishing the ceiling with liquid wallpaper can be carried out over the old coating (if it was oil or water-based paint). Other types of decor ceilings will have to be removed.
Making such wallpaper - a reasonable solution for rooms of unusual shape, with a variety of angles, projections or other shaped irregularities. Also, this finishing option is suitable for rooms with rounded walls.
- Liquid wallpaper on the ceiling - a good choice for a house where allergic people live. The composition of this environmentally friendly material mainly consists of natural cotton fibers. Due to antistatic components in the composition, dust almost does not settle on the ceiling surface.
- Easy interchangeability. If you see that a damaged area appeared on the ceiling, do not be upset. This can be quickly fixed by replacing only the damaged piece. To do this, place the defect moistened with water, after which part of the liquid wallpaper is removed. A fresh mixture is applied to the vacated area.
- Suitable for reusable use. This type of wallpaper can be moved to another room. To do this, they must be moistened and carefully removed. After that, soak in warm water and apply to a new surface. Can not be used immediately, but stored in dry form for several months.
- The ability to combine different colors. Of course, you can limit yourself to a white coating, but if you want to experiment and create an extraordinary design, then liquid wallpaper will come in handy. The white ceiling can be made bright at any time. To do this, add color pigment during preparation or paint after drying. You can also decorate the ceiling with various patterns and patterns.
You have already learned how to attract buyers liquid wallpaper. It's time to talk about the shortcomings.
Cons of liquid wallpaper
With the pluses figured out, go to the study of cons:
- Although in recent years the price has become noticeably lower, but still when compared with ordinary paper wallpaper, the cost of liquid wallpaper is quite high. However, this coating is perfectly kept for 7-10 years.
- Less variety of colors and textures than traditional wallpaper. This disadvantage is easy to correct if there is a desire to show imagination. As we have said, liquid wallpaper allows you to realize extraordinary design solutions.
- Liquid wallpaper on the ceiling can not be washed. If you have soiled some area, it will have to be cut and replaced, as water and detergent will destroy the structure of such a coating. Due to the lack of moisture resistance, it is better not to use this wallpaper in the kitchen or in the bathroom. If, despite the recommendations, you have already tuned in to applying liquid wallpaper on the ceiling of these rooms, then after drying, coat them with a colorless varnish.
- Such a ceiling covering dries quite long. Depending on the humidity and temperature of the air in the room, drying can last from two to four days. Unlike rolled wallpaper, liquid can be dried using heaters or drafts, without fear that they will fall off.
After examining the advantages and disadvantages, you can decide for yourself whether to give preference to this finishing material.
Finishing the ceiling with liquid wallpaper
If you decide to purchase this decorative coating, you probably want to learn how to glue liquid wallpaper. To properly stick liquid wallpaper on the ceiling with your own hands, you must first carefully prepare the surface.
Liquid wallpaper - a material that is able to hide a lot of visual flaws. Surface irregularities can be eliminated with proper application. However, we recommend that you first prepare a ceiling covering. This recommendation is due to the fact that there are lighting fixtures on the ceiling. The light from them will accentuate even the tiniest hollows or bumps. To avoid this, you need to align the surface well.
To do this, first putty or form suspended ceilings. Then you need to cover the primer primer. If the ceiling was previously painted in a bright color, use a waterproof primer. Apply it preferably in 2 layers, each of which should dry at least 3 hours. You can also use a white emulsion paint to overlap the color.
If you want to make a picture on the ceiling with the help of liquid wallpaper, then after that you need to make a markup. Design you choose yourself. We just tell you that a wide band around the perimeter of the ceiling is considered a popular option. To implement such an idea, you need to draw a dividing line and mark the boundaries using masking tape.
For more complex shapes, cut paper patterns and fix them on the ceiling. First, you will use wallpaper to fill the background space, then peel off the paper sheets and complete the creation of the original canvas. If you have a multi-level plasterboard suspended ceiling in your apartment, you can make interesting gradient transitions.
Cooking Liquid Wallpaper
The next step is to prepare the solution. This should be done according to the instructions from the manufacturer, which will be indicated on the packaging. Observe the exact proportions to get the right consistency. You will need a plastic container (it is convenient to use a basin) and warm water (approximately 25 ° C). The contents of the package pour in the prepared vessel. In the dry mixture in small portions pour the desired amount of water. Gently shuffle the wallpaper with your hands until the consistency resembles sour cream.
After that, leave the mixture for a specified period of time (usually it is 20-30 minutes). During this time, the wallpaper glue in the composition swells and binds to the paper fibers. The finished solution is once again stirred, while you need to remove not dissolved large particles. If the set includes decorative additives, they are poured either before applying or immediately into the water (be guided by the instructions).
Finishing material should not be abutted. Do not buy it squarely. Consumption cannot be exactly as stated by manufacturers. Even on a perfectly smooth surface, you will most likely need more wallpaper. Because some part will be damaged during application. What to say about the uneven ceiling, where the thickness of the layer will constantly vary.
Before you begin the application process, you need to check the readiness of the solution. To do this, a small amount of soaked mixture is applied to the ceiling surface. The composition should be easy to stick and not to defend. If this is not the case, correct the errors. Too thick mixture can not normally be distributed on the ceiling. It should be added a few milliliters of water. If the solution is too thin, the wallpaper will drain. You just have to wait until the excess moisture independently evaporates. And only after that you can begin work.
Apply liquid wallpaper on the ceiling conveniently with a metal or plastic wide float. The solution should be evenly distributed on the ceiling, a layer of 2-3 cm. It is better to do it in a circular motion. The fibers will be rotated in different directions, so the dried coating will look most attractive. Finally, a wide trowel will help to level the surface (they are usually putty putty). Before ironing the wallpaper-covered ceiling, the spatula must be wetted in water.
Also liquid wallpaper can be applied with a paint roller. To do this, the mixture is glued in portions to the ceiling, and then leveled with a wet roller. If as a result you want to see a textured surface, you need a relief roller, but you can only process the surface after 5-8 hours, when the wallpaper has dried up a bit.
Having completed the work, you need to check its quality. To do this, arm yourself with a lamp and highlight the areas filled with wallpaper at a slight angle. So you will see all the irregularities and can quickly eliminate the shortcomings. After that, it remains only to wait until the liquid wallpaper is dry. We have already mentioned that this will take 2-4 days. You can safely ventilate the room without fear of drafts and temperature changes. This decorative material seizes well if the temperature exceeds 10 ° C.
Do not rush to get rid of the remnants of the solution. Surplus may be useful to you to cover up defects that may appear after drying or during operation. Dry your liquid wallpaper so that it can be stored longer, put it in a plastic bag and put it away. If you need them, you can always wet the right amount to replace the damaged area. And you do not have to run to the store and select a shade that matches the color of the batch you used.
Liquid wallpaper - a modern technology that will help in the shortest possible time to update the interior of your home. If you do not have time to repair, but you want to change the situation, take a closer look at this type of finish.