We know the curtains zoning from the times described only in legends and fairy tales: then silk and organza were used to decorate the dwellings, and the bed was necessarily hidden behind the rich embroidered canopies. The features of modern styles make it possible today to use these techniques: zoning the space with curtains looks just as impressive and presentable.
Zoning with curtains: the essence and advantages of interior solutions
When is it appropriate to use such soft partitions? First of all, where every inch of usable area counts (the thickness of rigid structures does not always fit in the room layout). What tasks can be solved:
- to delimit the hall into a living room, a place for solitary recreation, a work corner, etc .;
- isolate an improvised study in any room;
- to arrange a dressing room, a beauty zone in the bedroom;
- reschedule a nursery to meet the needs of boys and girls;
- divide the kitchen into a dining and household segment;
- separate the kitchen and bathroom in the studio apartment.
The purpose of using curtains is not only the placement of functional areas, they carry an aesthetic load, it is also easy to decorate arches and overall doorways with their help.
If we compare the zoning of the room with curtains and the possibility of installing frame partitions (both stationary, and sliding, and mobile), we can single out the obvious advantages of the first method:
- relatively affordable base material cost. Even premium fabrics are significantly cheaper than the simplest false walls, glass or drywall panels;
- ease of installation and replacement, care. Curtains do not need special support structures, for their fixation a rather primitive curtain rod;
- even voluminous categories of textiles do not eat up the usable space, it is especially inconvenient to consider in this aspect other zoning methods associated with the installation of fasteners;
- One of the key advantages is the reversibility of the process. If the look of fabric walls is no longer inspiring, at any time replace them with others or remove them altogether;
- All stages of the process can be easily done by hand.
Finally, the curtains allow you to mask outdated repairs or flaws remaining after it.
Zoning a room with curtains: classification of techniques and techniques
Designers offer the following insulation methods:
- local or complete;
- aesthetic or practical;
- permanent or temporary.
Curtains can be fixed suspended or frame method. In the first case, there is a need to create a rigid frame, it is further covered with a cloth. Manufacturers offer a team and solid foundation, moreover sectional modifications are more popular. Suspended variations are formed on the principle of window curtains, the fabric can be hung on a string or ceiling cornice.
Next we look at several types of textile partitions.
Classic design solutions
In this scenario, traditional curtains are used. If the task is to isolate the bed, it is better to give preference to dense curtains - they more closely match the effect of monolithic walls.
It is better to hang heavy curtains on thick rings moving within the framework of a massive cornice. This approach is very attractive from an aesthetic point of view, the curtains form neat folds, rings will not allow them to sag. If the zoning of a one-room apartment has only decorative purposes, it is acceptable to use light translucent fabrics that slide along inconspicuous thin strings.
Original thread curtains
They allow for visual localization, are used to draw the semantic boundaries of the plots. Translucent curtains will not become an obstacle to the viewability of the room, the penetration of light, they allow you to avoid the effect of weighting details.
Often thread compositions are used to focus the working space. On the other hand, they are appropriate when arranging a room for parents and an infant. Here, firstly, adults acquire the intimate zone that is necessary for psychological comfort, and secondly, they can look after their child freely. This solution contributes to the natural circulation of air, it collects less dust compared to the usual curtains.
An alternative option can be called sets of beads - original, bright, textured, capable of taking the place of the main accent in the decoration of the room. Often they are collected with their own hands, and the result is an exclusive interior decor.
Blinds and blinds
Rolshtora perform mainly camouflage functions: the unsightly parts of the room can be hidden behind the cloths moving along the rails. For example, with their help it is easy to hide from prying eyes a dressing room, pantry, workshop, beauty-space. The main advantage of this method is high practicality, especially if you choose polyvinyl chloride materials: they do not absorb odors and pollution, they are easy to take care of, therefore they are actively introduced into areas adjacent to the kitchen and bathroom.
Connoisseurs of comfortable and concise solutions will like vertical blinds: when assembled, they occupy a minimum of space, they do not catch the eye.
A separate category consists of Japanese curtains - incredibly fashionable and comfortable, concise and compact. They should be considered in more detail in a separate section.
Zoning Japanese curtains
Partitions are composed of several panels - the same rectangular canvases. The color and density of the fabric is chosen on the basis of the design of the room and the functional load: someone needs a “wall” - a deaf division of the room, and someone needs a symbolic translucent partition.
The panels have special hard inserts, due to which they do not deform or fold when moving. The slats can be compactly assembled (then they will be located parallel to each other) or set in a row, that is, create a single canvas without gaps, make up a ladder.
The component responsible for the movement of the curtains is a track profile that is fixed on the ceiling. Its design includes several guides - each of them is responsible for its own fabric panel. The number of guides is usually in the range of 5-10 pieces. Standardly, the canvas covers the floor-to-ceiling space, you can find options and shorter, but it is likely that they will not ensure the integrity of the interior, as their traditional counterparts. The width of the panels usually varies between 60-80 cm.
If you have planned the introduction of Japanese curtains into the interior, please note that their design must comply with the vital principles of the people of the country from which they originate: they have taken every effort to avoid cluttering, minimalism is welcomed. All experiments with external execution of the partition should be reduced only to a change in the colors and textures of the fabric.
Accessories here will be out of place, the panels should be straight, clear rectangular shape. The surrounding interior must also comply: it is better to give preference to concise solutions. There should not be bulky bulky furniture, an abundance of accessories and textile accessories. It is important that there is a lot of air and light.
Similar partitions for the zoning of space are introduced into rooms that simultaneously perform many functions and serve as housing for several people. These can be one-room apartments or studios, children’s rooms for several teenagers, combined living rooms, kitchens and bedrooms, halls and dining rooms.
If you want to order Japanese curtains made of thick fabric, keep in mind that the part of the room removed from the window in this case will be more shaded, gloomy. It is better to take care in advance of additional lighting of this segment of the room with the help of a floor lamp, point ceiling or table lamps, wall lamps.
Stretch ceilings are not adapted for fixing track profiles, guides are installed on a separate metal profile.
With the help of the on-screen panel, you can replace the door, sliding wardrobe design, cover a niche or a shelf. Experts advise: if you want to visually expand a small space (say, a room of 18 square meters), perform a partition of the same material as the curtains.
This zoning method can be refreshed if 2 fabric colors are used to make the panels. As a result, the decomposed partition will decorate each half of the room in different ways. Bright partitions, made in the tone of the walls, merge with the situation, visually expand the room. Translucent screens that look like frosted glass are often used to divide a living room into a working and dining area.
If you put a picture on the canvas on the principle of photo wallpaper, an attractive mobile wall is formed, which will not only isolate the necessary areas of the room, but also enliven the interior, will help to interestingly place accents.
Japanese panels can even be used to transform a bathroom: you just need to choose a washable material with high water-repellent properties.
Types of fabrics and rules for their use
Decorators actively use:
If individual tailoring of curtains is planned, all the material should be cut from one roll: the same fabrics in other rolls can vary slightly in color.
In order for room zoning ideas to be adequately implemented, you should follow a few recommendations when planning a partition:
- The fabric must have a certain degree of stiffness to keep the shape. In this case, the material will form beautiful folds, this will minimize the grubby effect of using large volumes of textiles;
- Curtains must have a maximum length, that is, reach the floor or lie on it - then the space behind the partition will be completely isolated;
- It looks interesting combination of fabrics. The eaves can combine a dense curtain and weightlessness of tulle: when in favor of a translucent component, the room is filled with light and air, with the activation of the monolithic part you can achieve complete insulation;
- Since zoning is usually carried out in small-sized premises, the priority should be partitions of translucent or dense light-colored fabrics. They sufficiently divide the room, while they will not unduly pretend to the useful volume;
- Heavy dark curtains are really appropriate only when the localization of the bed.
For studio apartments, a combination of climbing plants and filament curtains is important - this combination guarantees a summer mood.
Curtain zoning room: always appropriate sliding partitions
Why in the living room should install an additional eaves? First, if it is a studio apartment, textiles will help to differentiate the site without significant material and physical investments. Residents will find the desired privacy, and when there is a reason - they will open the curtains and get a spacious place for joint leisure. Living room curtains can be zoned for the following purposes:
- Creation of 2 rooms from one - this will help a large translucent composition, placed parallel to the window. It can cover the entire width of the room;
- L-shaped corner compartment that allows you to create an insulating place to sleep, work, hobby;
- the isolation of the bed with an improvised canopy. In the southern latitudes, it has a second function - it protects users from mosquitoes.
The living room will look larger if, when decorating, to give preference to airy materials capable of transmitting sunlight. The closer they are in color and design to the walls, the more harmonious the interior looks.
The original reception and a really good option for this room is the use of photo-curtains and canvases with 3D drawing.
Bedroom decoration and zoning with curtains
Depending on what place you need to localize, practice the following bedroom zoning curtains:
- isolation of the bed itself - light tulle, flying fabrics, canopies are used. The solution looks organic if the room is decorated in oriental style. Practical natures fit dense curtains, collected in the form of a rectangle or oval;
- creating a zone for an infant baby - calm tones and translucent textures are appropriate here;
- arrangement of the dressing room - in this case, the fabric for zoning should be such that things are not visible through it;
- selection of working space - it is better to place it closer to the window, otherwise additional lighting will be needed. Modern styles allow to introduce canvases without waves, Roman blinds, and cotton curtains.
When masking of beauty space is necessary, a corner located near the bed can be decorated with a rich composition of beads.
If there is an alcove in the bedroom, nothing but curtains will help to get rid of the effect of the closet - if you use rigid partitions, the niche will seem tightly closed. Fabrics, in turn, promote natural ventilation, are psychologically better perceived, create an atmosphere of privacy.
Interior design with kitchen zoning
Extensive kitchen space in need of separation of dining and living space. The color palette of the partition usually combines these two links, here it is better to choose non-marking shades or fabrics that easily part with the dirt. Fluttering and light textures are extremely undesirable, as they can melt, catch fire.
In the kitchen, cotton or linen blending materials are most often used - they help to arrange the room comfortably, attract with their naturalness and environmental friendliness. Bamboo curtains, blinds - this is a universal decor and practical separator, they fit into most concise styles, are not afraid of pollution, quickly cleaned.
Also, Japanese curtains will fit well into this room: their evenness and tight fixation will not interfere with their work, they are safe and undemanding in care.
Elegant solutions for children's rooms
The babies need an individual space so that they feel free and at the same time safe. To divide the room inhabited by several children or to focus on the purpose of each zone in the room, you can use a wide range of textile tools.
In particular, if the child is still too small and it cannot be left out of sight for a long time, it is worthwhile to adopt transparent textures. With them, the baby will be given enough privacy, moreover, parents will be able to control every phase of his life.
If you want to highlight a crib, for boys it is better to choose canopies with marine life, flying objects, space themes. Girls prefer lush canopies that turn a bed into a princess bed.
If the room is designed for children of different sexes, curtains are the most practical, easy and welcome solution for children. The younger generation will be able to easily control the level of lighting, collect them and lower before bedtime.
In the girly rooms it became fashionable to use guipure and lace trim on the walls, curtains. Boys prefer a frame filled with meaning, such as curtains with a picture of a world map or animal life.