At the subconscious level, comfort and cosiness are associated with many natural materials, so beautiful wooden fences for private houses are especially popular today: they combine the ancient traditions and become the basis for the most daring design experiments. The presence of gaps between the boards is not only a peculiar decoration, but also a condition for the penetration of sunlight into the entire backyard area, which allows you to create full-fledged flower beds and tree compositions directly at the fence.
Strengths and weaknesses of the material
Decorative wood fence is attractive because of its natural basis - this material is found in harmony with the landscape of the countryside, but the quality and stability of the structure directly depend on the used lumber. So, the advantages of such fences for home and garden:
- simple installation;
- a solid high fence protects against wind, even a thinned version can significantly reduce the speed of gusts;
- environmental friendliness and availability of material;
- the possibility of coloring in any color, the creation of an original design project;
- creating an effective barrier against inappropriate alien curiosity, dirt and encroachment on private property.
Disadvantages of wood fences:
- the material needs regular application of special protective coatings protecting the structure from the effects of precipitation, insects and fungi;
- wood initially has a low fire safety (special formulations will help to increase it);
- limited operational resource;
- susceptibility to the adverse effects of seasonal temperature extremes;
- Careless handling quickly causes mechanical damage.
The essential requirement for such fences for a private house can be called full compliance with the surrounding landscape. For example, a modern avant-garde country building will not be combined with the notorious little white hedge made of a pointed picket fence.
For the construction of fences made to use cedar, pine and larch.
Landscape designers offer to explore the following sought-after types of wooden fences:
- A picket fence is a low fence made of stakes. They are driven into the ground without gaps, tight relative to each other.
- The fence is a classic wooden fence, it is based on horizontal bars, to which boards of the same length and width are nailed vertically.
- Wicker horizontal fence from branches and thin trunks of trees, shrubs.
- Cross - combined design, which also included decorative reinforced concrete trunks of a contrasting color.
- Ladder - the fence of the pillars, which are fixed lining. The resulting gaps are filled with overlapping boards (they are arranged horizontally).
- The traditional plank fence is based on massive support pillars that can be fixed in any direction.
- Pasture fencing - formed by supporting posts and two streaks.
- Sectional lattice wooden fences for cottages and houses.
Also welcome are painted in contrasting colors hedge-chess with a lumen, there are usually used for the framework of brick pillars.
Subtleties create a unique composition
Even the simplest option can be turned into a unique wooden fence, only by decorating it with designer (home-made) accessories from scrap materials. The following best practices are described:
- paints of rich color and pointed tops - everything you need to create a "set of pencils" on your own site;
- An ordinary plank construction can become a grand piano sticking out of the bushes, if you paint it in a uniform white color. Further, on the formed surface, black bars should be scattered at the same distance;
- if the house is decorated with carved platbands, the appropriately shaped carved picket fence will look beautiful;
- The original fences made of wood collected from the saw cuts look spectacular. To create a harmonious exterior, you can lay out the same neat tracks;
- Wooden timber fences can be cut out according to a pre-prepared pattern, for example, by performing a wave-like edge. This is a rather laborious process, but the result will definitely please with its originality;
- if you want to create a fence hedge, it is not necessary to place the components in the standard order, in particular, they can be braided into a braid;
- in the case when the choice fell on the wooden structure, the material can be put not in one, but in different directions;
- if time allows, it is worthwhile to paint each plate individually, in which case the canvas will look very impressive;
- Finally, someone decorates his hedge with numerous birdhouses, carrying both aesthetic and functional load.
The presented types of fences are available for independent production, they do not require significant financial expenditures, only inexpensive materials, tools, and free time are needed.
Tricks of the fence for the flowerbed
If you want to highlight, emphasize the front garden, the designers recommend to opt for lower designs and paint in white. When the decoration of the flowerbed, on the contrary, implies its slight elevation, it is worth using a log paling, which will become a reliable framework for the dirt cushion. Openwork wattle, in turn, will create a frame for flowers, resembling a basket.
General rules for self-erecting fences
If you do not know how to make a fence, take as an example the classical schemes and layouts. The main material will be boards 15x2.5 cm, their length depends on the planned dimensions of the finished structure.
Initially, you need to pick up the stakes of 60 cm and sharpen them - they will help to delimit the area and serve as a guide for driving in supports. When choosing the height and elements of a wooden fence, it should be borne in mind that a very high canvas will shade the area, which will adversely affect the vegetation of the planted plants. Boards with a length of less than 1.5-2.5 m are also not worth taking, otherwise pedestrians will become unwitting witnesses of everything that happens on the site. The material must first be leveled and processed using a grinding machine.
Many are attracted by beautiful wooden fences, the tops of the boards in which have a semicircular or triangular profile - the blanks are initially planed on the workbench. Ready cut material will cost an order of magnitude more expensive than the "draft" option.
As supports are used bars with a cross section of 75x75, 50x50 mm. They are immersed in the soil strictly perpendicular, and it is desirable to coordinate the process with a plumb line. The surrounding soil should be thoroughly compacted, many cement these areas for greater reliability, because the strength of the entire fence will depend on the quality of the supports.
In order for the height of the structure to remain the same everywhere, it is necessary to drive a nail into each level along the nail at the desired mark and pull the rope. Prozhiliny connected to the supports with screws or nails, their standard section - 10x2.5 cm, the bottom is at a distance of 20-30 cm from the soil. The step everywhere should be the same, the beauty of the future structure depends on it. It is advisable to choose screws or nails such that they pierce through the core and, on the other hand, protrude a couple of centimeters - the excess is gently bent.
Ways to eliminate the main categories of damage
In such conditions, wood is constantly exposed to an aggressive environment and even after full processing it begins to deteriorate after a few years. The fence may be covered with cracks, rotted or cracked areas will appear. It will be easiest of all to replace the broken down fence: it is carefully removed with the help of a nail puller or a scrap, the new element is fixed, it is painted.
It is more difficult to restore those fences for giving from a tree in which there are defects of prozhilin. If the damage is minor, you can use a galvanized iron overlay, a “patch” from a wooden bar will be slightly less effective. If the pole broke, you will have to reassemble the plot with the use of a new vein.
If the support that held the whole section has failed, it should either be strengthened or replaced. When a section is destroyed directly, the complexity of its restoration will directly depend on what type of fastening method was used to build the fence. It is easiest if the structure is held by clamps, but problems can arise when taking out nails - large ones are difficult to pull out without damaging the support, and this fact must be taken into account even at the design stage of the structure.