The fence for the house is a kind of business card of its owners. It is in appearance of the fence that the first impression is formed of how practical and thorough the owner of the house is. Without a doubt, the owners of stone fences would always be in the first place, despite its obvious complexity and cost. What are the advantages of stone fences?
Stone fence - for real and for long
The main advantage of the stone fence is its unlimited service life. For example, we can recall the ancient stone buildings, well preserved to this day. Others did not even give way to explosions. Here are the remaining advantages of laying a stone fence:
- stone fence suitable for any architectural style of the building;
- since the stone is a natural material, then the fence from it will naturally and organically look anywhere: whether it is a fence for a dacha, for a house in a village or in the city;
- the fence from a natural stone is eco-friendly and safe;
- a solid wall of stone will be a reliable fire protection in case of fire;
- installation of such a fence is simple, despite the complexity;
- the ability to combine different types of stone and other materials will allow you to create an architectural masterpiece from the fence;
- stone fence can be both solid and with gaps;
- solid stone fence, together with a deep foundation will create a reliable barrier from the undergrowth, if the area behind the fence is not ennobled.
Brick or stone fences really require a solid foundation. Only in this case, the construction will last a long time.
The foundation for the fence of stone
Before starting work on the construction of the foundation, you must carefully plan everything on the ground and draw a sketch. Then clear and level the area and mark it with rods and ropes around the perimeter. The foundation for such a heavy structure must be solid tape and always reinforced. Its dimensions for building codes are approximately as follows:
- 15 cm wider than the finished structure;
- the height of the base, that is, the part protruding above the ground, is at least 10–15 cm;
- the depth on difficult soils (heaving, flooded) is no higher than the average depth of freezing in your area.
Next you need to dig a trench on the markup. Cover the bottom with a 5 cm layer of sand and thoroughly tamp. Install the formwork. For her fit any suitable materials at hand: boards, plywood. After on the sand pillow you need to lay a frame of reinforcement. 8 mm rods are quite suitable for this type of structure. In total, you will need two layers of reinforcing cages. The second layer is laid 50 cm below the surface. For greater strength, these two layers are reinforced vertically hammered rods. At the same time, pipes for the pillar frame are installed. After installing the fittings, the trench is poured with concrete.
For the foundation to gain the necessary strength, it must dry slowly. For this purpose, it is covered with wet sacking, which is regularly moistened in hot and windy weather. It is possible to clean the formwork no earlier than two weeks. After another two weeks, you can proceed to the next stage - the installation of pillars.
Stone fence posts
The most convenient way is to build pillars using the sliding formwork method. First, a formwork in the form of a box with a side of about 30 or 40 cm is mounted around the frame tube. Then, a carefully selected layer of stone is placed into it. It is desirable to position them as closely as possible to the walls of the formwork. Then the stones need to be removed and re-installed with the solution, trying not to leave voids. Next, just fill in another row and leave to harden.
A day after pouring the first tier, the formwork is carefully removed and moved to the third, leaving the second for support. Thus gradually bring the height of the pillar to the planned. Each time, removing the formwork, thick solution close up all the gaps between the stones. Subsequently, you will need to perform jointing.
Craftsmen can lay out the extreme stones in the form of ornaments - decorative fence posts will look beautiful and original.
So, the foundation and the pillars are ready, the solution is completely grabbed and dried out. It's time to proceed to the next stage - laying out spans. They can be not only stone. The projected eye of a designer or homeowner will imagine in advance what the whole landscape will look like with spans from other matching styles or contrasting materials. We offer the most popular options.
- Forged from metal. Forged openwork in the spans will look even more impressive if the design of the house and the site provides forging elements. For example, the gate, gate, gazebo trim elements, visor.
- Tree. A fence made of stone and wood always looks stylish.
- Decking. This option is much cheaper and easier to install. Eases the load on the foundation. In addition to the usual, there are options for imitation of stone, wood flooring, brickwork.
- Facing the fence with natural stone. Span can be made of concrete and facing material. In the role of facing can serve as a stone, brick, facing tile or panel.
Let us consider the technology of making spans of stone.
Laying out spans
This stage is performed in the following sequence:
- With the help of reinforcement and ropes from two sides we make guides to restrict masonry in width.
- Apply cement mortar on the base of the foundation.
- Along the edges we lay out the stones, in the middle we fill all the gaps with mortar and substandard stones.
- We finish a row, in the process using a bandage.
- Give dry for at least a day.
- We post the next row.
In the process, do not allow the solution to get on the outer surface of the stone. The final operation will be the jointing. It should be carried out after 3-4 hours after work. After stitching, the fence should be washed with a brush, foam sponge and hydrochloric acid solution. When working with acid, you need to follow safety precautions: use rubber gloves and goggles. To prevent moisture from accumulating on top of the fence, you can install special caps. Caps can be decorative.
As we can see, laying a stone fence is simple, although it is laborious. The complexity of the work can be brightened up by bringing elements of creativity into it: laying out ornaments from stones or picking up stones of certain colors. You can also use colored pigments for the solution in order to mask or, on the contrary, emphasize the natural beauty of the stone.
Stone free mortar fence
The solution for this type of fence is still needed - for the foundation. And then the whole mass of stones fit into the mesh box. So it is called - the fence of stones in the grid or a fence of gabions.
When choosing a fence of this type, you need to remember that the size of the stones should be larger than the holes in the grid. Typically, the grid has large stones of beautiful shape, the middle fall asleep remaining.
Fences from gabions can look extraordinarily aesthetically pleasing and highly artistic if, in the process of laying stones, alternate different colors, creating drawings or creating unusual figures from the gabions themselves: columns, semi-circles, waves.
What stone can be used for the fence?
Virtually any natural stone. The main thing that he did not collapse from the action of water and looked beautiful. Most often choose:
- stone fence, also known as "rock". May be white, black, yellow or blue colors and their shades. Depending on the type, the rubble stone is divided into flagstone, layered, wild or torn stone. A wild or torn stone fence always has its own unique pattern and looks beautiful.
- fence made of French stone or artificial. French stone is called hollow cinder block made by vibropressing. Then cinder blocks are treated with special moisture-resistant compounds. A fence made of artificial stone has the appearance of natural and has several advantages: a variety of colors, less weight, standard size.
- brick fence. The technology of working with bricks has long been worked out and does not need a separate description. It has no less durability and neat appearance.
Using natural materials, you can create a durable structure that has a unique appearance and excellent characteristics. The main thing is that it is possible to do it yourself.